The Network/La Red is a survivor-led, social justice organization with over 30 years’ experience working to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, SM, polyamorous, and queer communities. Our organization and staff are recognized locally and nationally as experts in providing survivor-centered services and as thought leaders on the issue of LGBTQ+ partner abuse. We blend our history and commitment to being survivor-led, our analysis of LGBTQ+ partner abuse, and our commitment to being an anti-oppressive organization to create a unique framework that is the foundation of our survivor-centered approach.
We are who we work with, the staff, volunteers, and board of directors of TNLR are members of the very communities the organization serves. We believe that survivors are the experts on their own lives and are therefore committed to centering survivor voices and leadership in all aspects of our work. While we offer services for survivors of partner abuse, we also organize and educate about the issue to create the change we believe is possible for our communities.
Role Title: Volunteer Manager
Location: This position works between two offices in the Greater Boston Area of Massachusetts. While this position currently works remote, this is an in-office position (current estimate of return to in-person work is Fall 2021).
Hours: Full time; some evenings and weekends required
Overall Responsibilities: Facilitate organizational training twice per year. Support volunteers in their work within the organization. Oversee expansion and daily functioning of volunteer program for all aspects of organization. Provide direct services as needed (including rotating on-call back-up).
Supervised by: Executive Director
Supervises: Volunteers and Interns
- Coordinate and co-facilitate volunteer training.
- Coordinate all training logistics (interviews, space, schedule, manuals, supplies, weekly emails etc.).
- Support volunteers in an ongoing way in their direct service, outreach, education, and organizing work.
- Assist with recruitment of linguistically and culturally diverse pool of volunteers for all aspects of the organization, including direct services, outreach/education/organizing, administration, etc.
- Coordinate and co-facilitate monthly volunteer meetings: Big Group, Direct Service, Outreach and Education.
- Design, organize, and facilitate volunteer information sessions.
- Assistance with coordination of scheduling of hotline, outreach events, training facilitation etc. with other staff members and volunteers.
- Review and/or develop volunteer job descriptions for clarification of volunteer roles and responsibilities.
- Create, review and update volunteer manuals.
- Maintain volunteer database, track volunteer participation and performance.
- Develop/expand mechanisms for regular communication with volunteers and for volunteer appreciation.
- Coordinate and facilitate the volunteer advisory committee.
- Participate in program development and other organizational projects.
- Attend roundtables, coalitions, caucuses, etc. as appropriate.
- Provide direct services (including rotating 24-hour back-up coverage for hotline and safe home).
- Maintain records, statistics; provide reports as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned/necessary.
Qualifications, Strengths, and Skills: We hire for life experience. People of color, transgender people, survivors of partner abuse especially encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will:
- Be bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Have a minimum of 2 years experience in at least three of the following areas: volunteer coordination; LGBT domestic violence work; program development; training/public speaking; organizing/community outreach.
- Have a social justice/social change philosophy on domestic violence.
- Have excellent listening and communication skills.
- Be able to think strategically while also paying attention to detail.
- Be able to juggle multiple responsibilities, including the tension between daily tasks, current projects, and crisis intervention.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team.
Compensation: Base salary $52,015, bilingual salary $54,095. TNLR offers a competitive benefits package, including 100% employer paid health and dental insurance; Simple IRA retirement plan and up to a 3% employer match; professional development funds; and annual paid vacation (15 days), sick leave (12 days for physical and mental health), holidays (13 of your choosing), personal days (8 days), and bereavement (up to 3 days per loss).
Application details: Position to start August 2, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send resume and cover letter to:
- By email: email@example.com
- By post: P.O. Box 6011, Boston MA 02114
The Network/La Red does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.